We have been running our own business for nearly a decade, and we love the freedom we have to control how and when we work, where we work, and who we work with. These tips have helped us enjoy more success and enjoy the work more, too.
- Go out every day. It doesn’t matter where you go – even going to the post office counts. Why? It forces you to get yourself out of your comfortable environment, and yes, get dressed if you’re otherwise tempted to work in your pjs all day. It’s a great way to connect with people in your community. You’ll find inspiration, have conversations, and be energized.
- Do something for yourself every day. The big benefit of being an entrepreneur is that you are the boss. You might also be the employee, the administrative assistant, and the maintenance crew, but you’re the boss. It means you can step away and go for a walk, exercise, take a class you’ve always wanted to take, spend time with your kids, or travel through Europe for a month. Being an entrepreneur is hard work, but it is also exhilarating and freeing.
- Embrace new experiences. Having new experiences is how we grow and expand. So volunteer, feed the homeless, do a community project, or attend a networking meeting. Do something new.
- Take a lunch break. Yes, we entrepreneurs tend to work more than we ever thought we would. It is easier to work hard when you’re working for yourself. But it is important to stand up, step away, take a break, feed your soul and nourish your body. Take breaks.
- Do what you want to do, when you want to do it. We are 24/7, tethered to some digital device anyway, whether we work at home or in an office, so we might as well enjoy the freedom entrepreneurship affords us.
To succeed as entrepreneurs, you need to focus on your accomplishments. From traveling and living around the world to working as leaders in your corporate lives, you have fabulous skills that translate very well into running your own businesses.